Monday, February 6, 2012

Amazon Kindle: Meet my newest BFF

I can only think of one way to start this new section of Postcards and Pictures off right: an introduction to my new Kindle of course!

Ain't she pretty?
A while ago I was doing some writing for a publisher with a view to promote digital reading. I had been doing this for a few months already at the time, but it wasn't until that first flight to the US that digital readers really showed up on my radar. I remember the lights being dimmed for bedtime but right throughout the cabin there were passengers continuing to do something from their handheld screens of some sort. I was curious but I had no clue. I only realized later that they were reading. How cool! I thought.

Once I had a clue I really wanted to have one. Finally, a year later, my sweetie got me one for Christmas - Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! One of the best gifts ever - in white, of course!

I have always enjoyed reading but now I simply love it! I've read in excess of ten books on my Kindle so far - like a hot knife through butter.

What do I love about it? Everything! Let me count the ways... ha-ha
  • The online dictionary - I especially appreciated this feature when I was reading Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austin).
  • Highlighting and making personal notes - Not only can I make notes and highlight but I can even share it on my social networks if I so choose. There is a section where I can find them quick and easy at any given time should I need to (or want to) refer back to them later on.

  • I love the keyboard rather than a touch screen - I didn't want finger marks all over my reading. I didn't want screens that get misaligned. I didn't want any damage to my screen over time from excessive touching. Yeah, yeah, I know that you can buy screen protectors but I don't have any right now, okay? ;)

  • Whispernet  - It allows me to shop online and download new books anywhere - within seconds!

  • 3G and Wi-Fi connectivity - in the US - YEAH! In South Africa... not so great for me. My wireless Internet is limited. (Why do only some people get to have the awesome perks? :( ) With Internet access you can surf the web, check e-mail, read blogs, have online newspapers and magazines delivered to your device daily, etc. N-i-c-e.

  • Matt screen (no reflection) - This is one of the features I enjoy most! Yes, this device doesn't have high resolution color graphics, but when I'm reading - especially at night when I'm more tired - it doesn't put any extra strain on my eyes with glare. It also allows me to read in sunshine. 

  • MP3 player - You can download your favorite music on your device and you can plug earphones in for privacy.

  • Text to voice - And when I'm really tired I can have someone read to me. I can even choose whether it will be a man or woman and choose the reading speed. Granted, unless it is an actual audio book, it can sound a little robotic, but when I'm really tired I'm just glad to rest my eyes.

  • Battery life - Oh yeah! This device only needs charging maybe every two to three weeks (considering the excessive amount of reading that I've been doing), otherwise the battery can last up to 2 months. Obviously using the 3G, text to voice, music, etc. uses more battery power but I mostly do reading.

Is there anything that I dislike? Just one thing: the screen is not illuminated; you need an outside light source. So I got a clip on reading lamp for 5 bucks! Ta-daaaa! Problem solved. Now is there anything I dislike? ....NO! ha-ha

So now that you've become better acquainted with my new best friend, let's get reading, shall we? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment